Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

"I am so glad you were able to come out here, to be with me during Thanksgiving," Rudy said, this morning.

"Oh, so am I," I responded. I hugged him.

"You know, some people question my being here, away from you and the kids. They wonder if it is really worth it," Rudy admitted.

He looked me in the eye, wondered what I thought.

"I hear the same thing. I just let people know it works for me and you. It may not be an ideal situation, but it's ours," I answered, truthfully.

"All I know is that I am very thankful," Rudy continued. "If you weren't here right now, I would be eating alone. Feeling sad."

He was reflecting.

"But you are here. I feel very happy. And, you know, I am so proud of the kids understanding why I needed to move here. All three of them have given you and me unconditional love. They have continuously stood by the decision we made as a family."

"They've been great," I said. "Helping me. Maintaining a family united stance. Knowing how important our bond is."

I began reflecting.

"Through us, Elizabeth, Roberto, and Bradford are learning what it takes to make a relationship work. We are showing them that even though unexpected obstacles may arise we must not give up. Rather we need to work even harder to hold it all together. I am proud of that. That we are role-modeling consistency. Coupledom."

I had so much more to say, but I made my point.

"Happy Thanksgiving," we told each other. Sealed it with a kiss.

Happy Thanksgiving.

15 comments:

  1. What a great example you two are. Thank you - for all relationships - for the work you're putting in to make it *work*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What caring people you are. Happy Thanks Giving to you and your family. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the best childhood. What made it special was the bond between my parents. Lucky you. Lucky kids.

    Um, er, I have another award for you. Pick it up, visit it, or, skip it altogether and snuggle up to your loved one. Just wanted to say well done. Cheers -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely penned down. Hope you had a good thanksgiving. Thanks for the encouraging words you always keep in my blog.
    Let me know whether you like to enter the giveaway since you are already a follower of mine.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are such a great example of what it takes to make a marriage work. I admire you for making the tough decision and then making it work. Blessings to both of you. Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever works for you and your family is really all that matters.

    Happy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is what it is...... We are making the most of ours.

    Thanks for reading. I truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for entering the giveaway. Appreciate it.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. Thanks for suggesting that I stop by your blog. It resonates with me. A a newlywed, I moved from Pittsburg where I was studying law to finish my last year as a visiting student at Indiana University-Indianapolis, where my new husband was living at the time. The climate of my new school was very different, but I gladly took it on in order to move forward with this new chapter in my life. What a surprise it was when an unexpected job opportunity was presented to my husband just a couple months later...ten hour away in upstate New York. For the security of our future, he had to go, and I had to stay. I stayed in a strange city where I knew nobody and sold our house while studying for finals. You just deal with what life gives you.

    Yes, I think I'm going to enjoy your blog very much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I named my little buckling Billy Shakespeare of course first because on the great author and I was trying to think of famous "Billies".
    Glad your family was altogether for Thanksgiving. A very touching post. Your children are lucky to have loving and committed parents.

    I loved teaching 3rd and 4th grade. They're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most often the potential of what we can achieve transcends our level of intellect....that is why we are able to dream.
    May all the dreams you cherish become the realities of your tomorrows.
    Peace...Marc :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'though unexpected obstacles may arise we must not give up', Exactly! You don't have to say more, that is a very strong point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you charlotte.. great name you chose...
    amy, it sounds like you've handled your situation as best you know how... and succeeded!
    grains... your words are inspiring...
    and mom... i appreciate your positive input...

    ReplyDelete